https://www.passionatelifeproject.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/Facts-About-Sleep.png 315 560 Dee https://www.passionatelifeproject.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/Logo-300x132.jpg Dee2015-07-08 12:06:582020-05-26 20:55:50Some Interesting Facts About Sleep
Some Interesting Facts About Sleep
We all often wonder how necessary sleep really is. Following are some interesting facts about sleep.
- It’s been suggested that learning to play the Didgeridoo (an Australian musical instrument) can assist in alleviating snoring by strengthening the throat and pharyngeal muscles. This can help to keep the airways clear. (source – The British Medical Journal)
- One of the loudest snores recorded in Guinness World Records was 93 decibels (120db is a jet engine), by Kare Walkert of Kumla, Sweden, in 1993.
- But British grandmother of four Jenny Chapman was diagnosed in 2009 with snores reaching 111.6 decibels. Imagine the dismay of her long suffering husband? (source – Daily Mail Australia)
- Experts say one of the most alluring sleep distractions is the 24-hour accessibility of the internet.
- Shift workers are believed to get between 1 and 2 hours less sleep for every 24 hours than someone who works regular shifts.
- Fasting for 16 hours will reset your body’s natural sleep/wake cycle and is considered an effective way to overcome jetlag.
- When you lose two hours sleep per night/day over a four day period you can be almost as sleep deprived as someone who has missed an entire nights sleep. Makes sense right? Being sleep deprived can increase the risk of accidents at work or when driving.
- Have you ever heard of the term “micro-sleep”? It’s when you fall asleep for only a few seconds. You may not realize you are doing it, but it can prove highly dangerous if not fatal, especially if you are driving or operating machinery of any kind.